How to make Korean Tuna Tofu Stew
If you like spicy Korean stew, here is one simple recipe you can make with a block of tofu and a can of tuna. It's not only cost friendly but also delicious! All you need to do is mix up ingredients and throw it all together. I personally like to use a deep skillet for stews like these but you can also use a shallow pot if you like. Let's get started!
This stew is delicious and packed with flavors, just follow my recipe and you will get an authentic Korean flavored stew in no time! Serve with plenty of rice and you are good to go! Here are all the ingredients you need. You can skip the green chilies if you like.
Here are all the ingredients you need. You can skip the green chilies if you like.
Collect rice starch water in a soup pot. Rice starch water is very easy to make. When you wash the rice, discard the first rinsed water. Then swirl the rice with your hand for 30 seconds, add 2-3 cups of water. By doing that you are removing the starch coat from the rice. Collect the rinsed water and pour into the pot. That's it.
And continue to wash the rice a few more times to get ready for your usual rice cooking.
Add a few large dried anchovies and allow them to simmer for 10 minutes. This will be your stock base for this soup.
Slice the tofu (you can useeither firm or slightly soft tofu) into 1/2-inch thickness.
Drain the liquid out of a can of tuna and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine minced onions, Korean chili flakes, chili paste, garlic, Korean soy sauce for soup, and fresh chili (if using).
Add the tuna and mix well.
Spread 1/2 the amount of tuna mixture on the bottom of deep skillet, top with tofu slices.
Top with the remaining tuna mixture. If your skillet is not large enough to hold the tofu slices at once, you can layer them up. Divide the tuna mixture accordingly.
Pour the anchovy stock to barely cover the whole thing.
Boil it up. Drizzle the stew broth over the top to cook evenly. Taste and season the stew with more soy sauce or salt according to your taste.
That's all. Quite simple right?
The cooking time is just about 5 minutes and your stew is ready. Quick and easy but full of flavor.
Make sure you have plenty of rice to serve this with. Stews like this? It is, what we call in Korean, the rice thief!
Korean Tuna Tofu Skillet Stew
- 1 can solid tuna, drained
- 1 block soft or firm tofu
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Korean chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 2 tablespoons Korean soy sauce for soup
- 1 green chili, diced, optional
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups rice starch water
- 4-5 large dried anchovies
- Simmer rice starch water with dried anchovies for 10 minutes. discard the anchovies and reserve the stock. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine onion, Korean chili flakes, chili paste, soy sauce for soup, garlic, and green chili (if using). Add the tuna and mix it up.
- In a 10-11 inch deep skillet, spread 1/2 amount of tuna mixture on the bottom, Place tofu slices on top and top with the remaining tuna mixture. If needed, layer them up, dividing the tuna mixture accordingly.
- Pour the anchovy stock to the skillet to barely cover the whole thing. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook for 4-5 minutes. Drizzle the stew broth over the top as you cook.
- Serve hot with rice.
For more delicious Korean dishes, click the image to get the recipes.