6 Unforgettable moments at Taiwan's 2015 Golden Horse Awards
The 52nd Golden Horse Awards delivered without a hitch on November 21. The most prestigious awards for Chinese-language cinema invited guests like internationally admired star Jackie Chan and Korean actress Ha Ji Won to the star-studded event hosted by Taiwan's top model-actress Lin Chi-ling. Here are six of the most memorable moments on award night and the red carpet.
1. Karena Lam won Best Lead Actress for Zinnia Flower, a poignant story about a woman who lost her fiance and a man who lost his pregnant wife. Her performance in expressing inner pain was praised by the judges as sophisticated and reserved.
2. Best Actor was won by Feng Xiaogang for action comedy Mr. Six. He is actually an acclaimed top director (If You Are the One, Aftershock) in China. It turned out that he can act too.
His surprise nomination and win beat out these fellow nominees: Lee Hong-chi (Thanatos, Drunk), Aaron Kwok (Port of Call), Deng Chao (The Dead End), and Dong Zijian (De Lan). (Due to scheduling conflicts, Feng was in Beijing and was unable to travel to Taipei.)
3. Internationally renowned martial artist and star Jackie Chan presented the lifetime achievement award to Li Lihua, a legendary and glamorous actress who is now 92 years old. Ms. Li is nicked named "The Evergreen Tree" for an acting career that spanned 40 years and included over 120 movies. She also starred in a 1958 Hollywood movie China Doll, opposite Victor Mature.
The most touching moment of the night occurred when Jackie Chan knelt on one knee to present the lifetime achievement award to the wheelchair-bound Ms. Li. As a child actor, Jackie had played Li's son in the 1963 movie The Story of Ching Hsiang Lien, It was like a mother-son reunion, said the martial artist and international star.
4. Director Hou Hsiao-hsien's visually stunning movie, The Assassin, won 5 awards including Best Feature Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Makeup/Costume Design, and Best Sound Effects. Hou was also honored as Outstanding Taiwanese Filmmaker of the Year.
Unfortunately, The Assassin's star, Shu Qi, missed out on the Best Actress award, but she wowed the red carpet in a gown that was nicknamed by the media as "Green Spider Fairy".
5. Top model Lin Chi-ling co-hosted the ceremony successfully in her return after 10 years.
At one point, the tall beauty held up her short co-host, Mickey Huang, in a fun display of a "love hug".
6. Korean star Ha Ji Won appeared in a beautiful pure white gown. Doesn't she radiate elegance?
She is very popular among Chinese-speaking audiences for her stellar performances in Empress Ki, Secret Garden, and most recently, Time I Loved You, 7000 Days, the Korean remake of Taiwanese hit drama In Time With You.
For a complete list of the nominees and winners for the Golden Horse Awards, see HERE.
I'm so glad to see that the Golden Horse Awards was presented in a perfect night of glittering stars and touching moments.
Watch the popular new Taiwanese series Marry Me or Not?:
(Photo images credit as referenced or as tagged)