9 K-dramas with romantic doctors to love
Doctor Romantic's steamy kiss between Seo Hyun Jin and Yoo Yun Suk has reminded us that the land of K-dramas is populated with many lovable doctors. It's amazing how Korean hospitals are full of handsome and talented doctors that leave us with an unforgettable desire for more. Here is a list of great medical romances and adventures to enjoy for the first time or again and again.
Park Shin Hye plays a high school delinquent who was inspired by her teacher Kim Rae Won to become a doctor. Her tough personality helps her face difficulties and overcome obstacles in life. When she meets her teacher as a colleague many years later, will they become equal partners in love and life?
2. Blood - a tense mystery thriller about vampire doctors in the hospital. (Yes, I know we should stay away from vampires, but there is a special one to love here.)
Human doctor Gu Hye Sun falls in love with vampire doctor Ahn Jae Hyun, and together they will battle Ji Jin Hee, a powerful and ruthless vampire, while searching for a cure to the vampire virus. This drama is also famous for its two leading stars falling in love and getting married in real life.
3. Doctor Stranger - a suspenseful romance about a genius doctor who originally escaped from North Korea.
Lee Jong Suk stars as the doctor living under disguise while searching for Jin Se Yun, his long-lost love who may or may not have survived North Korea's prison camp. Park Hae Jin is his rival in the hospital with his own revenge plans. Will love or the desire for revenge win?
4. Emergency Couple - a must-see romance comedy where ex-lovers who are doctors find a second chance in, where else, a hospital!
Choi Jin Hyuk and Song Ji Hyo star as a couple who divorced when they were young medical students, and would meet again as new colleagues in a hospital. Enjoy their tumultuous and hilarious journey as they challenge each other to find love again.
5. Yong Pal - a romance drama with plenty of corporate intrigue, revenge, and destined love.
Joo Won is a doctor who moonlights for gangsters on the side, and Kim Tae Hee is the mysterious heiress who is trapped in a coma and lingering between life and death. How will the two meet and fall in love against all odds?
Doctor-in-training Joo Won fell in love in another medical drama.
6. Good Doctor - an inspirational medical drama about a young man who overcomes bias and excels as a surgeon in pediatric care, despite his autism and abusive family background.
Joo Won gives an award-winning performance as the talented doctor who is an autistic savant, and Moon Chae Won plays the doctor who befriends and falls in love with him. (The drama is so good that it is being remade into an American version.)
7. New Heart - romance keeps the heart alive in this hit medical drama from 2007*.
8. Descendants of the Sun - a Hallyu smash hit that reminds us true love knows no borders!
When Dr. Kang Dong Joo (Yoo Yun Suk) is cast away from the elite hospital in Seoul to a countryside clinic, he is stunned to find his long-lost love there as well as a genius surgeon called Teacher Kim (Han Suk Kyu). The drama is a great combination of romance and adventure infused with mystery.
Did I already mention the steamy kiss in episode 1?
Which of these romantic medical dramas have captivated you? Is there another drama that you'd add to the list?
Which doctor is the one you love the most?
*Note: This article is an updated version of my original list of 7 romantic medical dramas. Thanks to the readers who suggested New Heart.