How to make Kimchi Bean Sprout Soup
If you have a bottle of sour kimchi, you know you can make many dishes with it. Kimchi stew, kimchi fried rice, and much more. Here is one simple dish that can comfort your soul when the weather is chilly and you need something to warm yourself. That is kimchi bean sprout soup (kimchi kongnamool gook, 김치 콩나물국)
Kimchi Bean sprout soup is quick and easy to make with just a few ingredients. You will love the slightly sour taste of the broth along with crunch texture coming from the bean sprouts.
Just thinking of the soup makes me salivate because my brain remembers how good it tastes.
Here are the main ingredients; kimchi, bean sprouts and mushroom (optional).
Simmer dried anchovies in water for a few minutes, then remove the anchovies. You will have the anchovy stock to use as a base.
Add the bean sprouts and chopped kimchi. Your kimchi needs to be quite sour to bring the full flavor of the soup.
Add the mushrooms. Mushrooms are optional. If you don't have it, or don't like it, no need to worry. I used oyster mushrooms.
Bring the whole thing to boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add fresh chili (if you have), and salted shrimp. The salted shrimp adds a nice pungent flavor to the soup. You can substitute with fish sauce or salt instead. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt if needed. Simmer 2-3 more minutes.
Throw some chopped green onion at the end, then it is done. That's it! How simple is that?
The soup broth is full of flavor and the crunchiness of the bean sprouts? You gonna love it.
Ladle in a soup bowl and serve with rice. This will warm your body and soul like no other. Once you get used to the flavor of kimchi soup, you will crave for it more often than you think. I call this "The Kimchi Soup for the Soul".
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Kimchi Bean Sprout Soup
- 7-10 large dried anchovies
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sour cabbage kimchi
- 1/2 packet bean sprouts, cleaned
- 1-2 handful oyster mushrooms shredded, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salted shrimp or fish sauce
- 1 green or red chili sliced, optional
- salt to taste
- 1 chopped green onion
- Combine anchovies and water in a soup pot, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the anchovies.
- Add the bean sprouts, kimchi, and mushrooms(if using) to the soup pot. Bring them to boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the salted shrimp and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt if needed.
- Add the chili slices and simmer 2-3 more minutes. Sprinkle with green onion and serve hot with rice.