How to make Korean Black Sesame Porridge for Halloween
Halloween is in a couple of days and I would like to share one Halloween food idea with Korean food. This Black Sesame porridge is a wonderful way to serve nor only for breakfast but as a starter to fall festive meals.
Black sesame is amazingly good for our body. Serving them in porridge makes easy to digest and delicious. I used sweet short grain rice, but you can use plain rice as your preference. In order to stand the nuttiness of black sesame, the only thing to add to season this porridge would be the salt. You don't need to add any other flavor. It is good on its own.
Halloween is not as big deal in Korea as the rest of the world, but many families with small children celebrate and join the fun decoration around the house and put the costume on their young children to send to parties.
Surprise your family with this fun black sesame porridge on Halloween morning. It will be a great start for the fun day to celebrate.
If you can find pre-roasted sesame seeds, that would be great. Otherwise you can roast them in a skillet just like you would roast the nuts. Roasted seeds intensifies the flavor and the fragrance.
Soak your rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Overnight is preferable.
Then grind them up in a food processor, but not to puree.
Add water and cook as you stir until it becomes softer to taste.
Meanwhile, grind up the black sesame seeds.
When the rice is somewhat soft, add the black sesame seeds and season with salt for your liking. If the porridge seems too thick, add more water. This is very forgiving dish and you can control the amount of water as you cook.
For the ghost, I put radish slice in a salt, sugar, vinegar solution for 10 minutes to season.
The cut out with cookie cutter,
and used balck sesame seeds for eyes.
If you happened to have white cabbage kimchi, you can use the stem part of it instead of radish.
Boo! Halloween porridge is ready. How about serving this porridge for Halloween monring? I bet your family would love it. Happy Halloween, everyone!
Korean Black Sesame Porridge for Halloween
- 3/4 cup white sweet short grain rice or plain short grain rice
- 5 cups of water or more, divided
- 1/3 cup black sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Rinse the rice several times until you get the clear water. Soak the rice in the water for at least 30 minutes. Overnight is preferable. Drain the water off. Set aside.
- Ina small blender, grind up the black sesame seeds until you get the fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Put the soaked rice in a blender and add 1/2 cup of water Puree until they get coarsely granulated.
- Pour the rice in a pot and add the rest of water (4-1/2 cups). Bring it to gentle boil over med-high heat stirring often.
- Reduce the heat to low and keep stirring for another 10 minutes or until the rice granule is tender to the bite.
- Add the sesame crumbs and salt to the rice and mix well. Add more water if you prefer thiner porridge. Heat through and add more salt if needed.
- The porridge can be made ahead and reheat in the microwave.