How to make Korean Potato Salad
If you go and dine at a Korean restaurant, you might see this Korean potato salad as a side dish. It is quite different than western-style potato salad. Although it has hard boiled eggs and is dressed with mayonnaise as a base just like western potato salad, the taste yields differently. Korean potato salad is a little sweeter and has a ton of crunchy vegetables.
I love Korean potato salad and it is always the first side dish that disappears on the table. It is easy to make a sandwich with, too. We often serve this potato salad sandwich as a snack.
First, boil eggs for 12-15 minutes. Cool and set aside.
Cut potatoes into cubes and cook in the water until soft. You will want to add some salt to season the potato.
Meanwhile slice the seeded cucumber thinly and sprinkle with a little salt and toss. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes.
Once the cucumbers are no longer steep and a little more giving, squeeze out to remove the extra moisture. By pre-seasoning the cucumber this way and remove the moisture, it won't make your salad watery later on.
Chop ham, red pepper, cucumber, and eggs. Reserve 1-2 egg yolks for garnishing later on.
Mash the cooked potato.
Add the mayonnaise and honey, season with salt and pepper. Honey will make this salad somewhat sweet and makes the unique taste.
Mix everything very well.
Put the reserved the egg yolks in a fine mesh and press through. You are making egg yolk crumbs.
Spoon over to the salad to garnish. Very pretty, right?
You can also make a sandwich with Korean potato salad. Just spread the salad in between the sandwich bread of your choice.
Yummy~~! This makes great snack or picnic food. Many Koreans like to eat this potato salad sandwich as a breakfast, too. If you make the salad the day before, your breakfast is ready in 1 minute.
I recommend you would try this Korean potato salad next time you planing for a Korean meal. It is easy and inexpensive to try something different. Hope you like it.
Korean Potato Salad
- 1-1/2 lb yukon potato, peeled and diced
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and sliced thinly into long sticks
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped ham
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potato in water until tender. Drain and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt over the cucumber in a bowl and toss. Let it sit for 5-7 minute until slightly wilted. Squeeze out to remove the extra moisture. Chop finely.
- Chop the hard boiled eggs reserving 2 yolks on the side.
- Add the eggs, cucumber, red pepper ham, mayonnaise, and honey over the potato in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything very well. Chill the salad if you wish.
- Place the reserved egg yolks in a fine mesh strainer and press with a spoon to make the yolk crumbs.
- Place the potato salad on a serving dish and sprinkle with the yolk crumbs on top to garnish. Serve chilled.