How to make Korean spicy pork and squid stir-fry (오삼 불고기)
Whoever thought of matching pork with squid in the same dish must be a brilliant cook. Here is one dish that you need to try if you like spicy Korean Pork or Stir-fried spicy squid. This is like a happily married couple of a 4-legged land animal and an 8-legged sea creature, who overcame all the obstacles from their background differences to bring their love into a victory.
Oh-Sam Bulgogi (오삼 불고기) is the name of the dish. This spicy pork and squid stir-fry is quite a popular dish in recent years among many Koreans, and I loved how they go so well. There are different ways of making this lovely dish but the method I am sharing is one of my favorites. I got this idea from a Koran food TV show and adapted to bring the best result.
Slice the onion and carrot, and mince garlic and ginger.
In a small mixing bowl, combine all the seasoning paste ingredients. The addition of curry powder is the key factor in this recipe, so please don’t skip it.
I use pork belly because it becomes very crisp like bacon in this dish. If you don’t like the fattiness of pork belly, use pork shoulder instead.
Dice the pork into bite size pieces and brown until fully cooked.
If there is too much pork fat remained in the skillet, wipe out with the paper towel.
Add the squid pieces and cook until they are about done. You don’t want to overcook your squid. Remove them from a skillet.
Add the onion and carrot slices and quickly saute until crisp soft. Remove them from a skillet as well.
Now, heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar to caramelize.
When the sugar turns golden brown, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil around.Add the pork, squid, the vegetables, and the sauce.
Stir-fry quickly to incorporate with the sauce, about 1-2 minutes over med-high heat. That’s it. It is ready to eat.
Serve with rice as we always do in Korea.
Try with lettuce! The spicy pork and tender squid over the rice wrapped in crisp lettuce… it is heavenly, folks!
I feel like making another batch for my lunch again. Hope you enjoy!
Spicy Pork and Squid (Oh-sam Bulgogi)
- 1/2 lb pork belly or pork shoulder, cut into bite sizes
- 2 medium size squids, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2-1/2 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Korean chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoon corn syrup
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the seasoning paste and mix well. Set aside.
- Cook pork belly slices in a skillet over med-high heat until somewhat crisp done. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- remove some pork fat in the skillet if there are too much. Add the squid and cook until they are curling up and become opaque, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Saute onion and carrot slices until crisp tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat a dry skillet over med-high heat until hot. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar to caramelize. When the sugar turns deep golden brown, drizzle oil and return the pork, squid, the seasoning paste, and green onion. Cook everything over med-high heat until everything is incorporated with the sauce, about 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle more sesame seeds on top and serve immediately over rice. Wrap with lettuce if desired.
Try more delicious Korean Stir-fry dishes. Click the images below to get the recipes!
If you enjoy trying Asian food recipes, follow DramaFever's Asian Food board on Pinterest!