How to make Korean Tofu Tuna Patties
There is Korean dish called "donggrang Ttang (동그랑땡)". They are like mini patties of minced meat with vegetables. The name came from the roundness of the patotoes. Donggrang means "round". "Ttang" doesn't have a specific meaning but it usually indicates something small and cute. Let's make Korean tofu tuna patties!
As I was a child I used to love that dish that my mom often made for us. It can be made with minced beef or chicken. They all taste great and makes great dish for lunch box. Today I want to try this "donggrang ttang" with tofu and tuna. The combination of the two makes very mild and subtle flavored patties that are perfect to feed anyone. It is also very easy to make and flexible to change the flavor with whatever you might have in your kitchen. Add any of your favorite vegetables to the patties. I used green chili to add some spicy kick but you can add minced pepper, broccoli florets, minced carrots if you prefer.
Tofu contains lots of water and you will need to get rid of it as much as you can.
Wrap it up with soft cloth and squeeze out to remove the moisture. You will be amazed how much water comes out from the block of tofu.
Transfer into a mixing bowl and crumble any big chunks of tofu.
Add minced vegetables or green chili, green onion, tuna, garlic, breadcrumbs, eggs, and salted shrimps to add flavor punch. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix well with your hand to incorporate everything.
Make a mini patties, about 2-inch in diameter, slightly flatten down.
Heat oil in a skillet and cook until golden brown on each side. It should take about 2-3 minutes on each side.
If your patties are seasoned well, you can eat as is with a bowl of rice. Or you can dip in the soy sauce to season more. This simple patties are always hit with young children in Korea. I hope you can try this out at home. These are Protein packed patties in its best.
Tofu and Tuna Patties
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 can solid tuna in water, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 green chili or other vegetable of your choice, finely minced
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salted shrimps
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Wrap the tofu with a piece of cloth and squeeze out to remove as much moisture as you can.
- Transfer the tofu into a mixing bowl and add the rest of ingredients except oil. Mix well with your hand to incorporate. Roll out into balls and flatten down to make patties, about 2-inch in diameter.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes. Serve with rice.