How to make spicy tofu and squid stew
I can't think of anything better than a pot (or skillet) full of hot spicy Korean stew when the weather gets cold and dreary. I live far from the local Korean store, so when I saw this hand-made block of tofu on a trip to my bi-monthly Korean store visit, I was thrilled to grab a few. Their incredibly soft yet firm texture was just perfect for making stews. Here is a simple stew with tofu and squid. It is super flavorful and very simple to make, as always.
If you like squid, you will love this stew. if you don't like the squids, no worries. Just substitute with shrimp or other sea creature of your choice.
In a deep skillet or soup pot, simmer dried anchovies in water for 10 minutes.
Take them out and discard.
In a small bowl, combine all the seasoning ingredients and mix well.
Arrange tofu and onion slices in the anchovy stock and add the seasoning paste.
Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the squid and fresh green chili (if using) and gently toss together. Spoon up the hot broth over the squid occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the squid pieces are fully cooked. Don't over cook; otherwise, they will get tough.
Finally add Asian leek slices and toss. Remove from the heat.
I spent a whole day making batches of variety of kimchi the other day. That's what usually follows after you visit a Korean store for a major Korean grocery shopping spree. I get to enjoy the reward of hard work that will last month after month.
I enjoyed every spoonful of this stew. And to be honest, it wasn't that spicy at all. Just the right amount of heat for me.
Stews are so well loved in Korea around this time. Hope you get to enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Spicy Tofu and Squid Stew
- 6-7 large dried anchovies
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) package tofu (semi-soft to firm), sliced
- 1 squid, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Korean chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 2 tablespoon Korean soy sauce for soup
- 1 tablespoon anchovy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- dashes pepper
- 1 fresh green chili, sliced
- 1 Asian leek or 2 green onion, sliced
- In a deep skillet or soup pot, simmer water and anchovies for 10 minutes. Take the anchovies out and discard.
- In a small bowl, combine chili flakes, chili paste, soy sauce for soup, anchovy sauce, garlic, and chili; mix well. Set aside.
- Arrange tofu and onion slices in the anchovy stock and add the seasoning paste. Bring to boil, as you stir the sauce around to coat tofu and onion, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the squid and green chili to the stew and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Toss the squid around to ensure the even cooking in the broth. Taste the broth and season with more sauces or salt if needed.
Finally add Asian leek (or green onion) and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice.
Do you enjoy making Asian food? Check out DramaFever's Asian food board on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!