Fall in love with these 8 Korean rooftop romances
K-dramas have a fondness for heroes or heroines who live in a rooftop apartment, perhaps to show that they are poor or that they are isolated from the maddening crowd below. Here are a few great dramas where the rooftop plays an important role in the romantic stories.
1. Rooftop Prince - As the title suggests, the "rooftop" plays a critical role when four unexpected royal guests from centuries ago land in Han Ji Min's rooftop apartment. Hilarity runs rampant as the clueless crown prince (Park Yoo Chun) and his 3 buddies must learn the modern way of life while looking for a way back. This sweet romance involving mysterious doppelgangers is particularly engaging and touching.
2. My Love From Another Star - Below are the bustling streets of Seoul, while up above, the lonesome alien who fell to Earth gradually falls in love with the beautiful and temperamental actress. Kim Soo Hyun and Jeon Ji Hyun often talk side by side in the balconies of their expensive rooftop (penthouse) apartments.
3. The Master's Sun - Gong Hyo Jin melts So Ji Sub's heart in this unique drama, so her ghost-infested rooftop apartment turns out to be a great find. The drama keeps us glued to the screen and guessing how the romance will progress along the way. The happy ending also takes place on a rooftop.
5. Coffee Prince - When Yoon Eun Hye delivered food to Gong Yoo, she had to go all the way to the top. That's right! He lived in a bachelor's posh rooftop with a great view outside as well as inside. This must-watch gender-bender drama has become one of K-drama's greatest romcoms.
6. Healer - Ji Chang Wook plays the mysterious "Healer" who takes on assignments, including one involving Park Min Young, who raises his curiosity. As he gradually falls irresistibly in love with her (with the viewers falling for him), he watches his girl from afar, especially from the rooftops of Seoul.
7. City Hunter - Lucky Park Min Young was Lee Min Ho's leading lady in this drama (and for a while in real life) in this action thriller with a revenge mystery. The director certainly knew how to craft a memorable kiss scene on the rooftop.
8. Penny Pinchers (movie) - Song Joong Ki and Han Ye Seul live in adjoining rooftop apartments. Soon, the young man who is careless with money gets evicted and ends up living in a tent on his frugal neighbor's balcony. The movie is a hilarious comedy about two people searching for money but finding love.
Seeing how these K-drama romances started at a rooftop, it makes me almost wish I was living in a rooftop apartment in Seoul.
Have you watched any of these rooftop romances? Did I miss any drama for this list?
(Photo credit as referenced or tagged)