RECIPE: Stay cool this summer with Korean shaved ice!
If you are one of those people who loves the summer but gets overwhelmed by the heat, this article is for you! Shaved ice is the perfect snack to eat during the scorching hot summer months. It's both delicious and refreshing! Below is an easy recipe for Korean shaved ice (Patbingsu) that is sure to become your seasonal favorite!
What you will need for this recipe: (Serves 2 approximately)
- 1 cup of ice cubes (You can use regular ice cubes or ice cubes made with 1 cup of milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar.)
- 1 can of red bean paste
- 1 pint of green tea ice cream
- Fruits of your choice (I used mainly peaches!)
- Ice shaver or blender
All of these ingredients can be found at your local Korean/Asian market! Other recommended toppings:
- Mochi ice cream (You can cut it into pieces and put it on top.)
- Mochi bits
- Mango fruit (Pretty much any fruits you like will be delicious!)
- Walnuts (Any kind of nuts that you like would probably work too!)
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Pretty much whatever toppings you want to add!
- Once you have all of the ingredients that you need, it's time to get to work! This really simple recipe will take you about 5 minutes in total, so don't be nervous to try it out. First, take out whatever fruits you will be using and cut them into bite size pieces.
- Carefully open the can of red bean paste with a can opener and stir it with a spoon. If you would like to learn how to make your own red bean paste, I have included a tutorial by the lovely Youtube personality Seonkyoung Longest below!
- Now that you have everything ready to go, it's time to shave/blend the ice! I use my blender to make the shaved ice, but if you don't have one, you can buy an ice shaver like this one.
- Once your ice is shaved, transfer it into a bowl of your choice.
- Put a generous amount of the red bean paste on top of the ice.
- After that, put a couple of scoops of the green tea ice cream on top.
- Add your fruit and all your other toppings.
See Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Ji Woo reunited on the screen in the scandalous melodrama Temptation
This one was made using ice cubes that were made by dissolving 2 teaspoons of sugar into 1 cup of milk and letting them freeze overnight. Both are delicious, but the milky ice cubes give it a bit more flavor!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you are looking for more Patbingsu ideas, here is the awesome Seonkyoung Longest with two recipes of her own! In her tutorial, you will also learn how you can make your own red bean paste!