6 K-dramas that prove Park Shin Hye is on an unbeatable winning streak
Park Shin Hye's agency recently admitted that Doctor Crush was feared to be a flop. Say what? With the new drama breaking ratings record, it's hard to believe that there was any concern. However, the agency said that it was natural to anticipate a flop after her 3 years of continuous wins. What do you think? Let's take a look at her winning streak of her last 6 dramas (and it's not just for 3 years).
The beautiful and popular actress actually started as a child actor at the age of 12 in the romance classic Stairway to Heaven, and became the leading lady of a hot new drama when she was 19 in 2009.
6. You're Beautiful (2009) - Park Shin Hye starred in a dual role as twins Go Mi Nyu and Go Mi Nam. The 19-year-old actress was transitioning from playing teenagers to young women who were venturing out into the world, just like she herself was. Her character not only captivated fellow K-pop group members played by Jang Geun Suk, Jung Yong Hwa, and Lee Hong Ki, but also fascinated worldwide K-drama viewers.
5. Heartstrings (2011) - If there was any criticism of You're Beautiful, it was that some fans would have preferred Jung Yong Hwa to get the girl. So in 2011, Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa co-starred as college students who fell in love. Because international viewers were familiar with the popular leads from You're Beautiful, broadcasting rights to Heartstrings were sold to 8 countries ahead of its premier in South Korea.
4. Flower Boy Next Door (2013) - Park Shin Hye played an introverted writer who was such a recluse that she practically stayed inside her apartment all day and only sneaked out occasionally for necessities. One day, she caught the eye of extrovert Yoon Si Yoon who was intrigued and wanted to bring her out of her shell. Once again, Park Shin Hye's popularity led to the broadcasting rights being sold to 10 countries, including to Japan at the highest rate at that time.
3. Heirs (2013) - The ensemble drama became one of the hottest smash hits, and broadcasting rights were sold to 13 countries. Fans point to Lee Min Ho as the main reason for the high popularity of the hit drama, which has maintained its forever spot in DramaFever's Top 10 K-drama rankings. But, maybe Park Shin Hye is also the reason for the drama's perennial popularity? Certainly in the story about high school students who were weighed down by family and peer pressures, she was the one who both Lee Min Ho and Kim Woo Bin pursued.
2. Pinocchio (2014-2015) - Park Shin Hye's collaboration with Lee Jong Suk was successful, and once again, confirmed the then 23-year-old actress as a bankable star. Her onscreen chemistry with co-star Lee Jong Suk particularly charmed the audience. Both stars' popularity rose, thanks to Pinocchio, and they were included for the first time in Forbes Korea's Top 40 Korean Celebrities in 2015. By the end of 2015, our popular actress would also have amassed over 10 million followers on Weibo, the Chinese social media platform.
Before we get to her newest drama, I'd like to note that the only drama that I am not including here is Hayate the Combat Butler, a 2011 Taiwanese adaptation of a Japanese manga. Park Shin Hye is also a favorite guest star for cameo appearances in many dramas, such as in The Entertainer.
1. Doctor Crush (2016), originally named Female Gangster Hye Jung, stars Park Shin Hye as Hye Jung who has a gangster-like personality because of her childhood experiences. Park Shin Hye takes the risk of playing a character that is totally different from her past roles, and the new drama is now the ratings leader in South Korea and in DramaFever's own Top 10 K-dramas.
What is especially unique about Doctor Crush's success is that, despite co-star Kim Rae Won's own long-time fame, Park Shin Hye is clearly the leading star who has attracted a new wave of K-drama fans. While many K-dramas are still featuring their leading men as the main attraction, it is now recognized that Park Shin Hye alone can turn a drama into a hit. She is only 26, and her future looks bright and limitless.
Congratulations to Park Shin Hye!
In the meantime, catch up on our #1 new hit drama Doctor Crush right here:
Source via 1
(Image credit as referenced or tagged)