WARNING: Staring at Lee Min Ho too long may hurt your eyes
Do you stop to blink when you watch Lee Min Ho on DramaFever? For your sake, we hope you do. A new survey finds that 70 percent of people who are glued to the screens of their multimedia devices experience eye discomfort, or "digital eye strain," from staring too long without blinking.
People who watch online programming on their desktop or laptop PCs, tablets, video game consoles, phones and digital TVs, tend to stare for a long time without blinking. This intense stare is part of what makes the screens of these devices so hard on the eyes. The digital eye strain can even be found in kids.
Symptoms of "digital eye strain" can include dry eyes, blurry vision, fatigue, back, neck or shoulder pain, and headaches. The survey was released by the Vision Council, a trade group of eye care products, and it gives stern warnings of serious long-term eye risk, including macular degeneration and cataracts.
The survey of over 7000 adults in the United States in October 2013 found:
- 60% of respondents said they spend at least 6 hours looking at screens daily, and 28% report viewing screens for 10 hours or more.
- Adults are most likely to experience digital eye strain in the early evening ( 6 to 9 p.m.)
- 63% of adults do not know that electronics emit high-energy visible or blue light.
- 41% of adults have never tried, or don't know how to, reduce digital eye strain.
The Vision Council gives the following recommendations:
- Adjust the brightness of your device. Consider changing your background color from bright white to cool gray.
- Keep enough distance between your eyes and the screen.
- Keep handheld devices at a safe distance from your eyes and just below eye level.
- Consider wearing computer eyeglasses to help focus while in front of a digital screen.
- Build an "eye-gonomic" workspace to mitigate outside stressors.
Watch exes duke it out and fall back in love in the comedic medical drama Emergency Couple.
Remember the 20-20-20 Rule:
- Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break from the screen and look at something 20 feet away.
Also, remember to blink! Yes, according to eye doctors, you need to blink lightly every 10 to 15 seconds.
It's hard to look away from him, but I'm sure Lee Min Ho won't mind you blinking and taking the 20-20-20 break so that your eyes stay healthy and you can keep watching him and his dramas for a long, long time.